Deadline: 14th January 2015
Age: For Action Learner volunteers, it’s 18 to 25 years.
For Action Learner Team Leader, it is 23 years to any age.
Participants: 48 Community Action Learner volunteers and 3 Action Learner Team Leaders
Program duration: This Programme will run in February 2015 for three months
Programme location: Baglung, Lamjung and Kathmandu Valley.
Participation cost: NO fees!
VSO will cover your living, food, and transportation costs during your time, and may also be able to cover your costs to attend assessment days if you live far. This is not a paid position, but it should not cost you anything to participate.
VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers. VSO Nepal has worked in Nepal since 1964 to improve the lives of impoverished people in some of the country’s poorest districts.
VSO Nepal is implementing the International Citizen Service (ICS) programme which promotes intercultural dialogue, sharing and learning between young people from the UK and Nepal.
Community Action Learner Volunteers
Would you like to:
-Gain practical experience of, and learn more about development at a community level?
-Develop your personal skills, confidence, and leadership?
-Live and work closely with UK counterpart to learn about each other’s culture?
-Gain a huge amount of experience and learning to add to your CV?
In coordination with VSO UK and local NGOs such as Bhimpokhara Youth Club (BYC) in Baglung and Sarbodaya Sewashram in Lamjung, VSO Nepal is currently recruiting for Action Learners aged between 18 – 25 years (see below for Team Leader opportunities if you are older).If you are selected you will have the opportunity to spend three months in a community in Nepal, learning alongside UK Action Learners, living in host homes, and taking action for development.
VSO is looking for 48 committed, enthusiastic and open minded young Nepali youth! So please do apply if you are interested.
Through living and learning alongside communities, you will gain first-hand knowledge and experience of good practice in development work and are in turn, able to make practical and meaningful contributions to the communities in which they undergo action learning. Action learners volunteers will live in host homes, sometimes quite remote, and conditions will be basic, so be prepared for a challenge as well as a fantastic experience.
– Good verbal English language skill
– Strong Interpersonal skill (working with other stakeholders in the community, and people from different culture, caste and ethnicity)
– Commitment for development work and can lead by example for youth and the communities (sensitive to others’ need)
– Strong commitment to complete the entire cycle of exchange (February 2015 – May 2015)
Action Learner Team Leader (3 positions)
Would you like to:
– Gain leadership, youth work, project management and coaching experience?
– Learn about international development practice in Nepal through supporting projects?
– Live and work closely with UK counterpart to learn about each other’s culture?
– Learn to take responsibility and lead, and support a large team of Action Learners?
VSO Nepal is looking for applications from Nepali citizen’s aged 23 and over for this role which is focused around learning about and implementing leadership and project management in a cross cultural environment. It will be fantastic experience to add to your CV.
Team Leader Action Learners will be based in a community supporting 24 Action Learners, and will be helped to develop their leadership skills by a Project Co-coordinator.
– 23 years old or over (up to any age)
– Very good written and spoken English.
– A full commitment to staying community for at least 16 weeks (32 weeks preferred)
– Experience of working with/supporting young people from varying backgrounds (cross culture environment desirable)
– Ability to demonstrate leadership qualities and able to plan logically, managing a varied workload and working environment
– A very strong interest to live and work in a cross cultural environment
On request, a full role description and persons specifications for Action Learner Team Leader is available from VSO Nepal at the email address below.
Through supporting Action Learners and leading a team (with your UK Team Leader Counterpart), you will gain first-hand knowledge and experience of good practice in development work and are in turn, able to make practical and meaningful contributions to the communities in which they undergo action learning. Team Leaders will live in host homes, alongside Action Learners, in sometimes quite remote, and conditions will be basic, so be prepared for a challenge and a unique experience.
To Apply for Action Learner or Team Leader Action Learner posts:
Please send via email clearly mark subject as “Application for the position of ICS Action Learner” or “Application for the position of Team Leader”
Please send your letter of motivation expressing how you meet the requirements stated above along with your curriculum vitae to the following address by Closure of Business 14th January 2015.
Head of Operations and Human Resource
VSO Nepal, P.O. Box 207, Kathmandu, Fax: (01) 5524743
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified for further selection process.